Friday, September 10, 2010

The Hunger Games

I mentioned in my last post that Patrick Ness had gotten me interested in Dystopian fiction. But after I devoured The Knife of Never Letting Go, I had a few weeks' wait ahead of me before The Ask and the Answer came out in paperback. Luckily, about the time I finished the first book, there was some general internet hubbub about a book called Mockingjay, the third in a series that had been hovering in the back of my mind since I first heard about it on the lovely Sarah Rees Brennan's journal. I decided that since all three books were out, it was about time I read it. The series is called The Hunger Games, after the title of the first book.

The Hunger Games is about a girl named Katniss Everdeen. Katniss lives in District 12, in a country called Panem. Every year, one girl and one boy from each of the twelve districts of Panem are chosen to fight in The Hunger Games, a fight to the death on national television.

Yep. Fight to the death. You see why I was interested.

Again this is a book that is hard to explain without spoiling, but I think it's safe to say that Katniss is a participant. What follows is a story very smoothly written (it's in present tense and I didn't even notice until I was a third of the way through the book, which is extremely impressive) that kept me constantly guessing and never took the easy way out of anything. The critique of reality television is extraordinarily interesting; the games are fought by district children for the entertainment of the people of the capitol, whose lives of extreme leisure juxtapose nicely with the lean, impoverished lifestyle of the districts. Though we watch reality television knowing that the contestants are there voluntarily, there is still a sense that their actions are for our benefit. While they're on television, they essentially exist for our entertainment. When we no longer find them interesting, their television careers die. Taking it a bit further, to a fight to the death, isn't as much a stretch as it seems at first. Rich from fourfour has a more in-depth (and much better) analysis of the reality television theme here.

This book contained many moments when I wanted the characters to do one thing, and then was extremely relieved when they did something else. Because what I want for the characters isn't always (actually, is probably almost never) what is best for the story. Suzanne Collins doesn't shy away from putting her characters in difficult situations, and she certainly has them make a bad decision or two. Katniss is very compelling despite being extremely flawed (the best description I've heard so far called her a "loveable asshole"), and it's interesting to watch her try to make the best decision when there isn't really a right decision available.

I'm afraid to say much more in case any of you decide to read it (which I obviously think you should). So: fast-paced? Yes. Well written? Absolutely. Did I cry? Maybe a little. So you should read it.

p.s. It is worth noting that I cry very easily when bad things happen in books. So take that one with a grain of salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment